How to configure and use Windows 2008 Server Backup utility
By Koder at Wed, 01/26/2011 - 07:15
In this article we will show you how you can install and use Windows Server 2008 backup utility. The backup utility feature is no longer standard and does not come installed with a default installation of Windows Server 2008. The new Windows Server 2008 backup utility has lots of new and advanced feature. The best feature I like is the fact that you do not need to restore from multiple backup if the backup you created was incremental. You are now able to restore just individual files instead of whole folders. You can also remotely manage your backups using a MMC. System restore feature for restoring your operating system is much simpler and advanced. The backup technology used in Windows Server 2008 Backup utility is much faster and nicer!
With extensive command line support, you can very easily script backups using VB or batch files. They run smoothly, if you add them to a schedule, backups become even more hassle free and better on Windows Server 2008. So lets start by installing and configuring the backup utility on Windows Server 2008.
1. Click on Start and in the search box type Backup and click on the Windows Backup result
2. The Backup Utility Launches but tells you that Windows Server Backup 2008 is not installed and you need to install it
3. In order to install the Windows Server Backup 2008, Click on Start and then click on Server Manager
4. Right click the Features Node and then choose Add Feature
5. Scroll down on the features list and click to add Windows Backup Features and click Next