How to restart your computer from the internet using a web browser
By Koder at Wed, 11/18/2009 - 22:56
|The utility we are going to use is called Shutter. It is an Open Source and Freeware utility. Shutter lets you remotely shut down and restart machines locally on your network and also from the internet using a web browser. This utility can be used to perform a variety of other tasks such as shutdown, log off, mute master volume, lock workstation, put the machine to hibernate or sleep, turn off your monitor, unmute volume etc. |
It also has the capability to provide information about your computer (such as current logged on user, running process, CPU and memory utilization and up-time). You can also obtain a screen shot of the current desktop being displayed. Lets get started, we will provide you step by step instructions on how to set this utility up in no time.
- Download Shutter from http://www.den4b.com/downloads.php?project=Shutter and choose the .exe version as it runs a wizard which makes configuration a lot easier
- Click Next on Starting the wizard
- Choose default install location and click next
- Choose default start menu group and click next
- Choose to create a shortcut on your desktop or not
- Click Install to start the installtion
- Click Finish to finish the installation
- Launch Shutter from Start Menu or Desktop icon. Ignore the main screen for now, as it is used only for local use, we are interested in remotely controlling the behavior
- Click on Options
- Click on Web Interface Tab
- Configure Options and choose Save. Options should include, IP address, port, username and password. Checkmark the enable box as well
- Allow entry in Windows Firewall when prompted for Shutter.exe
- You will now be able to see various available options, including one to restart your machine
That's it, You can now restart your machine from over the internet. You can also choose to run Shutter as soon as Windows start, so you don't have to remember to manually launch the utility, you can do this from the "general tab" on the options menu.
If you want to share your ideas, any other software of the similar kind that you use, or simply want to provide feedback, you can always contact us by leaving us a comment here or by using the Contact Us form.