How to schedule automatic defragmentation in Windows Seven
Defragmenting your hard drive definitely improves performance, specially on drives that are smaller in capacity and does not have too much free space left. If you were a Windows XP user, there was no way to automate and schedule defragmentation of your hard drives without going to a third party software like Diskeeper. In Windows Seven however, there is a cool new feature by which you can automate and schedule defragmentation of your hard drives without buying any additional software. Scheduling the defragmentation is of particular importance because you can schedule them at a time when you are not doing anything actively on your computer and don't have to deal with disk thrashing or low resource problems. Secondly, scheduling disk defragmentation also helps in making sure the drives are not too fragmented to begin with and hence the defragmentation process does not take much longer. In this article we will show you how you can schedule a Defragmentation task in Windows Seven, so you can set it and forget it !
Here are the step by step instructions on how to schedule disk defragmentation in Windows Seven:
1. Click Search and type defrag in the search box, then click on the first option of Disk Defragmenter
2. Disk defragmenter window pops up, it shows you all your local hard drives and also shows you how defragmented they are (in terms of percentage). It also gives you the option of defragging or analyzing a selected disk right away by pressing the appropriate buttons.
3. Click on Configure Schedule to bring up the defragmentation schedule
4. Click on Select Disks button to select the disks you want to schedule defragmentation on in Windows Seven on. In our example we have excluded the D: and E: drives
5. Disk defragmentation is now scheduled.